The following content may contain affiliate links. When you click and shop the links, we receive a commission.
You all know by now that I love a delicious summer cocktail! There’s something about those lazy summer evenings that last forever, with a chair pulled up on the porch or deck, and the fireflies floating all around me as I sip that first sip of a refreshing drink…I look forward to it all year long! We are heading into the official “dog days of summer” now, and I wanted to share one last great drink that I’ve been mixing up and loving the last few months. Today I’m introducing you to our household fave: the Spicy Blackberry Smash Cocktail!
I love this cocktail because it mixes the earthy sweetness of ripe blackberries with the spiciness of jalapeño, which is one of my favorite cocktail additions! I love anything made a little bit spicy. If spicy isn’t your thing, though, this drink is just as good with the spiciness omitted. Have it your way! If you have access to freshly-picked blackberries this time of year: even better. Another little addition that’s fun in this cocktail is shaking it up with some basil in place of the mint if you have fresh basil on hand. I love the herbaceousness mixed in with the berry. Delicious!
Let me know if you make this one, and how you like it. And, as always, enjoy responsibly!
- 5 blackberries
- 1/2 Tbsp diced jalapeño peppers
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- Soda water
Wash and Dice
Wash the blackberries and jalapeño peppers. De-seed the peppers and dice them into pieces. Don’t forget to leave a few slices to garnish the glasses.
Muddle and Shake
Put blackberries and diced jalapeño in a shaker and muddle as much as possible (extract as much juice as possible from blackberries and break down jalapeños). Add vodka, simple syrup, and lime juice to the shaker along with crushed ice and shake well.
Pour and Garnish
Spicy Blackberry Smash Cocktail
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Cocktail Muddler
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Cutting Knife
- 5 blackberries
- 1/2 tbsp jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 splash soda water
- 1 bundle mint, garnish
- 1/4 cup sugar, glass rim coating
- Place sugar on a small plate and run a lime wedge around the rim of your cocktail glass. Place glass upside-down on the plate to coat the rim in sugar.
- Wash the blackberries and jalapeño peppers. De-seed the peppers and dice them into pieces. Don't forget to leave a few slices to garnish the glasses.
- Put blackberries and diced jalapeño in a shaker and muddle as much as possible (extract as much juice as possible from blackberries and break down jalapeños). Add vodka, simple syrup, and lime juice to the shaker along with crushed ice and shake well.
- Pour the cocktail into the prepared glass (do not strain) and top off with a little bit of soda water. Garnish with blackberries, sliced jalapeño, and mint if desired.
I love the flowers in these photos! Just gorgeous!