The following content may contain affiliate links. When you click and shop the links, we receive a commission.
This blog post was originally published on November 11th, 2015.
The first year of having this blog, I shared one of my best go-to time savers for maintaining a healthy lifestyle– my smoothie freezer bags! There are lots of companies that deliver pre-made smoothing ingredients for you, that you can blend up and bring on the go as needed. But over the years, I’ve had great success with making my own…especially since I’ve gotten older and been recommended certain supplements and additions to the smoothies by my nutritionist to benefit my body specifically. Having these simple but nutrient-packed bags in my freezer to grab as needed have been a game-changer! Today, I thought it was high time to redo the photography from the old blog post on this and to share my current fave. I’m linking everything, too, so you can find it if you’d like!
We’re all more inclined to eat healthfully if the tools are at our fingertips. In other words, if it’s simple enough for me to figure out pre-coffee, it might stand a chance as a part of my lifestyle. I’m always looking for shortcuts to make my family’s life more healthy on a daily basis, and this is one of my greatest tricks yet! Follow a few simple steps and you’ll be getting a whopping dose of fresh nutrients every day.
The answer? Smoothie freezer bags! Get your week’s nutrients easily organized so all you have to do is dump, blend, and go. The below recipe is for one freezer bag, but I recommend making seven at once for the week!
What you will need…
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (The general rule for this is the more colorful your assortment of fruits and veggies, the more diverse nutrients you are receiving!)
- Leafy greens (I favor baby spinach)
- Protein (The type is up to you– I use Goat Whey protein)
- Chia Seeds (These are a super-powered food! So much fiber and Omegas)
- 1 sandwich sized bag
- Dump the smoothie contents into your freezer bag and seal. Place in the freezer. When you’d like to make a smoothie, pour 8 oz. water into a blender or Vitamix and blend well!
Healthy Smoothie Freezer Bags
- 1 Blender
- 1 Freezer
- Sandwich Bags
- Place all ingredients into a blender and mix completely before drinking