The following content may contain affiliate links. When you click and shop the links, we receive a commission.
I always find myself cooking tons of soups and stews in my slow cooker this time of year. It’s so easy to dump a bunch of (carefully selected) ingredients into my slow cooker, set it, and then forget about it while I go on with my day.
The result is always a super hearty, yummy, and belly-warming meal!
Soups and stews are also such a great way to extend the grocery dollar. I know I’ve gotten lots of messages to share more of my favorite slow cooker meals as we head into the colder months, so today I thought I’d share one of my favorites that hasn’t made it on HEA yet:
My Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup!
This recipe serves 4-6 people, and is totally kid-friendly. You can double the recipe easily make extra to freeze for those extra stressful or busy weeks.
I’m also including a recipe for the crispy tortilla strips that are so easy to make and super delicious. My kids love these with guacamole too!
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Tortilla Soup as much as I do!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker
For the soup...
- 1 lb chicken breast, skinless & boneless
- 15 oz can of corn
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large onion
- 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes, I sometimes use the "roasted tomatoes" style
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 11 oz can of enchilada sauce
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 packet taco seasoning, if not cooking for kids, I use spicy!
- 1 cup water
- shredded mexican blend cheese, for garnish, (optional)
- limes, for garnish, (optional)
- tortilla strips, for garnish, (see below recipe)
For the soup...
- Put chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Top with the remaining nine ingredients, and stir the liquids well to incorporate. Try not to disturb the chicken breasts at the bottom.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Halfway through cooking, stir well.
- When the soup is done, remove the chicken breasts and shred in a bowl using two forks.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, and cook for 15 more minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- Serve with tortilla strips, cheese, and a squeeze of lime!
For the tortilla strips...
- Preheat the oven to 280º F and spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Layer all 4 tortillas on top of one another, and cut the whole stack in to long ½ inch strips.
- Lay on the cookie sheet without the strips overlapping and toast the in the oven for 6-10 mins each side, or until they turn golden brown on the edges. Watch them well so that they don't burn!
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over your soup, and enjoy!
Photographs by Julia Dags | Happily Eva After, Inc. © 2020 All Rights Reserved